Recipe and photography by: Brittany Nikolich, RDN, CD, Registered Dietitian
Retailer: Festival Foods
*RDBA Recipe Contest Finalist
This Middle Eastern-inspired recipe features a lean ground turkey and mushroom-blended kofta, paired with fresh red pepper and zucchini tossed in a traditional herb and spice blend featuring cumin, coriander, allspice, mint and garlic. Layered over brown basmati rice and topped with a tangy Greek yogurt sauce, this flavorful meal makes the perfect, trendy power-bowl dinner, or can be re-packaged as a heat and eat entree for deli/fresh foods departments.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
½ cup fresh parsley, stems removed, finely chopped
½ cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 Tbsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 lb. 99% lean ground turkey
½ lb. cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint leaves
½ lemon, juiced
½ tsp. garlic powder
Pinch kosher salt
2 Tbsp. olive oil
½ red onion, diced
2 medium zucchini, sliced
1 red pepper, cut into strips
Salt and pepper, to taste Lemon wedges for garnish
1.5 cups cooked brown basmati rice for serving
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. In a small bowl, mix together spice blend ingredients.
3. Add kofta ingredients to a large mixing bowl with ⅔ of the spice blend. Mix quickly and gently with your hands. Form into 30 (2-inch) balls and place on a baking sheet.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt sauce ingredients, refrigerate until ready to serve.
5. In a large bowl, add zucchini, red pepper, and onion to pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with the remaining seasoning blend to taste. Add to sheet pan with meatballs. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. Place under broiler for 2 minutes, or until lightly charred.
6. Serve over rice and pair with yogurt sauce. Garnish with lemon wedge.