Recipe and photography by: Mary rose Agel, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
Retailer: ShopRite of Spotswood
These Surf and Turf meatballs are a combination of mushroom, beef and crab. Serve these spicy meatballs with a dollop of chipotle cream sauce and scallions. This tasty appetizer will be a crowd pleaser at your next gathering.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
cup of finely chopped white button mushrooms
1 pound grass-fed ground beef
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon grass fed butter
3 tablespoons chopped scallion (just the white part save the green part for sauce and garnish)
2 garlic cloves minced
16oz. can of claw crabmeat
1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 tablespoon breadcrumbs Chipotle Cream Sauce
½ cup low fat sour cream
½ cup plain greek yogurt
2 chipotle chilies in adobe sauce
2 teaspoons of adobe sauce Scallions for garnish
1. Pre- heat oven to 425°F.
2. Place mushrooms in a food processor or blender and pulse until mushrooms are finely chopped. (can be chopped with a knife)
3. Heat olive oil and butter in a pan over low heat. Add scallions, garlic, mushrooms and sauté until lightly browned. When done remove from pan and cool slightly.
4. In a bowl combine mushrooms, garlic and scallion and ground beef and set aside.
5. Add crabmeat to the mushroom and beef mixture. Combine until all the ingredients are mixed well.
6. Next, add seasonings and breadcrumbs to the mushroom mixture and combine.
7. Form mixture into one-inch balls and place on baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
8. Place in a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes or until internal temperature is 165°F.
9. To prepare the chipotle sauce, combine sour cream, yogurt and chipotle chilies in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Season to taste.
10. Serve meatballs with a dollop of sauce and top with scallions. Enjoy!