Recipe and photography by: Heather Steele, RD/LD/ Registered Dietitian
Looking for a simple yet savory dish to serve at your next party? Look no further than these Pork & Mushroom Blend Empanadas! They are easy to snatch up at a party, light on the calories, and packed with umami flavor!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
8 oz. portabella mushrooms, finely diced
1/2 small yellow onion, diced
1 lb. 84% lean ground pork
1 package low sodium taco seasoning
1/4 – 1/2 cup water
2 packages wonton wrappers
Canola pan spray
2 Tbsp. water
1. Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel or mushroom brush and pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Finely dice both the mushrooms and onions until they are the texture of your ground pork
3. Place mushrooms and onions into a medium sizes skillet and cook over medium-high heat for about 5-7 minutes, or until mushrooms have shrunk and onions are translucent
4. Add pork to skillet and cook for an additional 7-10 minutes, until meat has browned.
5. Lower heat to medium-low and mix in taco seasoning while slowing adding in water. Start with 1/4 cup and add up to a 1/2 cup depending on the consistency of your mixture.
6. Cook mixture for about 2 minutes or until water has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
7. Spray 2 large (17×11) baking sheets to prevent sticking, fill up a small bowel with water and lay wonton wrappers out flat.
8. Spoon mixture onto the center of each wonton wrapper, about 1 teaspoon – 1 tablespoon each.
9. Dip your clean finger into the bowl of water and brush the edges of each wonton wrapper, repeating as necessary. Fold the wonton wrapper over to create a triangle and crimp the edges with your finger or a fork. 10. Once all wrappers have been sealed and crimped, lightly spray with pan spray.
11. Place empanadas in a pre-heated oven and cook for 4 minutes before removing empandas from the oven to flip with tongs and return empanadas to the oven for an additional 4 minutes or until edges are golden.
12. Allow empanadas to cool for 1-2 minutes and serve!