Recipe and photography by: Danielle Sanislow, RD, LDN, Retail Dietitian
A blended burger recipe with cremini mushrooms and pickled vegetables providing a robust flavor profile that has the tanginess of the pickled vegetables that with interest even the traditional burger lover. Kick it up with some fire by topping with sliced jalapeno’s.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 ½ cup cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic cloves
2 cups chopped pickled vegetables of your choice (see note below)
1 tablespoon packed fresh dill, chopped
1 ½ teaspoons ground mustard
1.5 pound ground eye round roast
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon pepper
Toppings: romaine lettuce, red onion, sliced jalapeño, and bun
1. Heat oil in skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes, stirring often until onions become transparent and mushrooms slightly browned. Once cooked, transfer to bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
2. Mix together remaining ingredients (garlic, pickled vegetables, dill, ground mustard, ground eye round, egg, pepper) and cooked onions in large mixing bowl. Do not over mix, will result in tough burgers.
3. Heat 2Tbl of olive oil in skillet or frying pan over medium heat.
4. Form patties out of ½ cup of mixture or 12 equal portions.
5. Once oil is simmering, add patties and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
6. Enjoy by itself or stack on bottom bun laired with romaine, slice red onion and jalapeño’s, and top bun.
Note: You can pickle your own vegetables or buy store bought. I recommend pickled peppers, celery, carrots, but any vegetable will be delicious. Be sure to chop prior to mixing in burgers. Mushrooms, onions, and pickles should be of similar size.