Recipe and photography by: Tina Miller, MS RDN, Healthy Living Advisor
*RDBA Recipe Contest Finalist
A delicous and easy to prepare crowd pleasing chili that is great on it’s own or seved over baked sweet potatoes or in acorn squah bowls.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
8 oz. fresh button or baby bella (crimini) mushrooms
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
3/4 pound lean ground beef or turkey
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons True Goodness by Meijer Organic Chili Powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup True Goodness by Meijer Organic black beans, rinsed and drained 1 cup whole-kernel corn (thaw if frozen)
1/2 cup Low Sodium broth or water
1/2 cup shredded 2% milk cheddar cheese
1/4 cup diced green onion Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
1. Place mushrooms in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped.
2. In a large saucepan, brown mushrooms, onion and ground beef or turkey, approximately 10 minutes. Season lightly with salt and black pepper.
3. Add garlic, spices, tomatoes, corn, beans and bell pepper. Cook on low 20-30 minutes allowing to thicken. Add broth or water (up to 1/2 cup) if desired.
4. Serve topped with a sprinkle of shredded cheese, diced green onion and sour cream or yogurt if desired.
5. Fall Season Variation: Serve in halved baked acorn squash or over baked sweet potatoes