Recipe and photography by: Heather Steele, RD/LD, Registered Dietitian
Ancient Grains. Mediterranean Flare. Mushroom Powered. This dish (or bowl shall we say) has all the components necessary to keep you feeling full all while enjoying a delicious combination of flavors all in one bowl.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Cilantro Lime Sorghum:
1 cup pearled sorghum
4 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 cube or 1 teaspoon chicken bouillo
2 cups water
1 cup lime juice
1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
Roasted Sweet Potato:
1 medium sweet potato, diced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
Sprinkle of chili powder
Sprinkle of salt
Sprinkle of black pepper
Sprinkle of onion powder
Sprinkle of garlic powder
Sprinkle of paprika
8 ounces portabella mushrooms, finely chopped
4 sprigs green onion, finely chopped
½ pound lean ground turkey
3 Tablespoons Low Sodium Taco Seasoning
½ cup water Toppings:
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 container feta, crumbled
1 avocado, sliced
1. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. While oven is warming, place cubed sweet potato on a large sheet pan and gently mix with olive oil and a sprinkle of chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, and black pepper until coated. Once oven is warmed, place sweet potatoes into the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
2. Meanwhile, begin cooking the cilantro lime sorghum by adding sorghum, lime juice, water, cilantro, chicken bouillon, garlic powder, olive oil, salt, and pepper into a medium sized pot. Stir ingredients together and cook on high heat until boiling.
3. Once boiling; bring the heat down and simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until sorghum is tender and little liquid is remaining.
4. While sorghum is simmering, prepare your mushroom blend. Dice mushrooms and green onions to a consistency similar to the ground turkey or try pulsing them in a food processor. Add them to a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat stirring occasionally for 3 to 4 minutes, until the mushrooms have lost some of their moisture. Add in the lean ground turkey and cook the mixture until the meat has browned or reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
5. Add taco seasoning to the blend and slowly pour in a ½ cup of water, stirring to combine. Turn down heat to medium and allow mixture to cook until the water has been absorbed and remove from heat, about 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Warm the black beans on the stove-top in a small pot for 4 to 5 minutes over medium heat or in the microwave in a microwave safe container for 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Place ½ cup of sorghum into a bowl and top with ¼ cup roasted sweet potatoes, 1/3 cup black beans, 2 ½ ounces mushroom blended turkey, sprinkle with feta, and garnish with 2 slices of avocado.