Recipe by: Recipe by Heather Steele, RD/LD/ Registered Dietitian
Retailer: Reasor’s Food
*RDBA Recipe Contest Winner
Photography by: Kara Lydon, RDN, LDN, RYT
Enjoy a twist on the classic burger with a little Italian influence! Featuring Chicken Parm Blend Burgers that are easy to make, crowd pleasing, and nutritious!
Prep Time: 15 minutes Instructions:
Cook Time: 20 minutes
4 oz. white mushrooms, diced
1⁄2 lb. lean ground chicken
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan
1⁄4 cup panko crumbs
1 jar marinara
1⁄4 small onion, diced
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1⁄2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
Pinch of Salt & Pepper
4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan
Canola Pan Spray
4 whole wheat hamburger buns
1. Cook diced mushrooms in a large skillet over medium-high heat until mushrooms have shriveled, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. While mushrooms cool, put the following ingredients in a medium bowl: ground chicken, grated parmesan, panko crumbs, 1⁄4 cup marinara, onion, garlic powder, italian seasonings, salt, & pepper. Add mushrooms in last and mix everything together.
3. Form four patties and make a shallow indentation in the center of each patty with your thumb. Put patties on a plate and place in the fridge for 30 minutes or until you are ready to prepare.
4. Cook burgers over medium heat on a pre-heated grill or in the large skillet that you used for the mushrooms. Flip the burgers after 8-10 minutes and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes. Burgers are done when they reach an internal temp of 165 degrees or appear white all the way through.
5. Spray buns with pan spray and place on the grill or skillet for 30 seconds -1 minute to warm.
6. Spread marinara evenly on the bottom bottom then top with a burger then 1 tablespoon marinara then 1 tablespoon shredded parmesan and gar- nish with a couple of basil leaves before placing the other bun on top.